Blackboard

Auto-submit not being honored

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
67 Posts
Bill Richards posted on 14 Sep 2012 11:28 PM

I have seen other references to this problem, but need to add a request for more info and add my own experiences... (using 9.1 SP9)

In an assessment with Auto submit set to "ON" and a time limit of 25 minutes, I am seeing 30 + minutes of time used on some submissions and the the questions within the attempt are flagged (the submission itself is NOT flagged in anyway). This was reported during summer session, during first week of this semester and now it's observed again and our internal personnel have offerrred no help.

Since others have reported similar problems, has ANYONE received any kind of solution? I am starting to review third-party, cloud-based assessment tools to use outside of Bb if this can't be nailed down.....As lead-instructor I have responsibility for uniform outcomes-assessment for accreditation purposes....

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Bill,

If the student has the test open and the browser is connected to Blackboard when the time limit is reached, the test is auto-submitted immediately by a javascript applet run in the browser.

However, if the student has left the test without submitting it before the time limit is reached--that is, the browser is closed or the student is not in the test anymore--then there can be a delay of up to 7 minutes before the test is submitted, because there's a job that runs every 5 minutes to auto-submit any outstanding attempts in any auto-submit tests that have not been submitted by 2 minutes past their time limit.  (The 2 minutes is a buffer in case the test may already be in the process of being submitted by the javascript applet.)

If you have access to the Behind the Blackboard knowledgebase, there's an article about the auto-submit process at https://blackboard.secure.force.com/btbb_articleview?id=kAC70000000005k that explains the timing.

Mike

Top 50 Contributor
67 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for that explanation. It seems to fit with the times shown on the attemtps in question. So we need to work on test-taking procedures with the students it looks like!

I am still confused why Bb flags the individual questions and WILL NOT let me manually enter points for each right/wrong question. Bb is acting like it wants me to manually grade the submission (even though the attempt itself is NOT flagged), but just won't save anything I have entered when I "Save and Exit". Any suggestions?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Bill,

We are not seeing those "flags" (yellow exclamations) on our auto-submit tests.  I actually had someone else ask about the yellow exclamation on test questions here on Dr. C--though they did not say anything about auto-submit---and I could not find any information or documentation about them.  I even opened a ticket with Blackboard support to ask, and all they knew is that it was some kind of grading error, but since it wasn't something that was happening on my server, I couldn't give them an example to look at to do any further troubleshooting.

I'd have your system administrator open a ticket about those flags on the questions, because I think that's some other kind of error, not something that's normal for auto-submitted tests.

Mike

Top 50 Contributor
75 Posts

Hi Bill and Mike,

I'm not sure if this is too late, but we were able to clear the yellow marks by re0submitting the test (with no changes) on behalf of the student. The instructor was then able to grade the questions that had issues. (BTW, I found this looking for the auto submit issue - nice, succinct explanation. I hope you don't mind if I copy/paste ti to an instructor).

George

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Thanks, George.  We do sometimes still see those yellow exclamation marks, so it's good to know there's a workaround to get those attempts submitted properly.

Mike

Top 50 Contributor
Female
53 Posts

George,

How do you re-submit a test?

-Kate

Top 50 Contributor
75 Posts

Hi Kate,

Go to the Grade Center, and under the chevrons (or down arrow in Learn 2012) select "Attempt mm/dd/yy." At the upper right of the test there is a "Submit" button.

George

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS