I am using Dreamweaver CS5 (v. 11) and connecting to Blackboard using WebDAV. I am connecting from two different computers, one with Win 7.0 Professional and the other with Vista Home Premium. Our University uses Blackboard Vista 8.0 Service Pack 6. I maintain my content on a portable USB drive which I can move between computers.
About twice a month I will encounter a problem where either an individual file put or a multi-file or folder synchronization operation to upload files from my local content to the web site will appear to work properly but when I check the content on the web the upload was not successful. I.e., the old file version is still avtive. I also encounter the problem with new files in which case the new file will not appear in the BB file manager nor be available for inclusion in a module or linking on a page.
1. If I do another synchronization DW will not report any files needing synchronization. That is, DW reports that all files are up to date even though it is an older file version that I see on BB.
2. If I change either a local copy or a remote copy snychronization will recognize the out of synch files but attempting to upload (I never need to download) results in the same issue--apparent success but the old file version remains active.
3. Once I encounter this problem it persists until I fix it (see below).
4. I can make the problem go away by deleting the site from the Dreamweaver Manage Sites capability and then recreating it (and pointing to the same WebDAV address and local content source I have been using).
5. If I encounter the problem on one computer I have never seen it on the other. That is, if Computer A misbehaves Computer B will be operating correctly. But I have seen the problem on both computers, just not at the same time.
6. The problem is course-specific. I usually have more than one course active and I can encounter the problem on Course X but Course Z behaves properly, even on the same computer where Course X is having trouble.
7. The problem does not appear to be browser cache related. I often author on one computer but keep BB open on another (not one of the two on which I author). Neither computer will show the new file version.
The problem is insidious because unless I check (which I now do regularly) I won't know there was a problem. Again, DW gives no error message.
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere. I did a couple of searches but the responses were overwhelming and not really on target.
Thanks for any insights.
© Blackboard, Inc.