Blackboard

Due date option in test

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
11 Posts
Mai posted on 7 Feb 2011 12:41 AM

I have just tried to set up a test in Blackboard 9.1 with a due date (left the availability options blank).  I went to test it as a student AFTER the due date had lapsed and was able to still access the test and complete it.

I then went in as an Instructor to view the result and notice that it does not list "late submission" or something to that effect in the gradecentre.

Has anyone had this issue?  Why are students able to access a test after the due date?

For the time being, the only solution I can think of is to enforce the "Available until..." option, but if that is the case, what is the point of the due date?  Unless its just for the system to pick up a date to list in the student's "What's New?"....? 

Thanks very much :)  Mai

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
80 Posts

Mai,

The function of the Due Date is not to close the assessment, but to notify the students about when items are due. If you want the item to become unavailable after the due date, select (for a test) "Edit Test Options" and under Test Availability, set the Display Until option. You can also set the Display After option. Also, make sure "Make the Link Available" is set to "Yes".

Not Ranked
4 Posts

Hello,

Allow me to piggyback on the question.

I have the same issue.  I want to set the hard due date for grading purposes, but do not want the quiz problems inaccessible to students (for their study guide purposes).  Is there a way to set due without having to make test inaccessible (and without having me to repost quiz problems)?

Thanks,

Toshiya

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,976 Posts

Toshiya,

Students can get in to see their test results even after both the due date is past and the "Available until..." date is past.    All they have to do is click on their test grade under "My Grades", and they can see their test feedback.

Under "Test Options", you can set whether those test results just includes their score on the test, or also includes the questions with their answers, the correct answers, and any feedback you've added to the questions.  You can also change these settings later, if (for instance) you don't want anyone to see the correct answers until after everyone has taken the test.

Does that help?

Not Ranked
4 Posts

Michael,

Thanks for your quick response. 

No, I didn't know students could always look at their test feedback through the Grade Center.  So, I can set the availability date to make test inaccessible after the due and students can still see the problems through the Grade Center.

But,

(1) is this obvious to students (that they can revisit their past tests through the Grade Center)?

(2) would those who missed the test can see test problems from the Grade Center after the due?

Thanks,

Toshiya

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,976 Posts

Toshiya,

1) Students can't see the Grade Center--they can only see "My Grades", which is where students go to see their grades on everything in the class.  The grades are highlighted as links, so anyone looking at "My Grades" can see that clicking on them goes to *something*.

2) The link under "My Grades" doesn't show the test--it shows the results of the student's test attempt.  So, it might just show their score, or it might show the questions along with their answers, the correct answers, and the feedback--you decide that under the feedback section of the test options. 

It doesn't show the whole test with all the possible answers.  Because it is the results of the student's test attempt, students who did not take the test will not see anything there.

Mike

Not Ranked
4 Posts

Mike,

Then, what is the simplest way to enforce the due date/time cutoff while keeping the test (and answers) available for students to view after the due?  Maybe uploading two of the same test, making one counted toward grade and unavailable after the due and the other not counted toward grade and available after the due?

Toshiya

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,976 Posts

Toshiya,

That's probably the best way.   Remember, having a due date does not prevent students from taking the test (and getting a grade) after that date, as long as the test is still being displayed, so you have to make it unavailable as well.

If you want the students to be able to see and take  second copy of the test for practice/study purposes after the due date, you can even check the "Hide this test completely from the instructor and the grade center" option.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS