Blackboard

9.1 Test Options and due date

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Annette Ingram posted on 25 Jan 2011 10:25 AM

We are in 9.1.40071.3 (9.1 SP4).  When we upgraded, we go the new "Due Date" feature.  We have some "master" classes and it would seem that the due date was automatically set when we upgraded to a date from back in 2009.  Now the instructor goes in and sets his test options, but doesn't change the due date so the test is available in 2011, but was "due" in 2009.  I hope this makes sense so far. 

Now, what happens with the test?  Are there any ramifications from a testing perspective that the due date and the availability dates are different?  What is the purpose of the due date?  I can't find anything in the documentation on this feature.  I'm sure I'm missing it. 

Thanks.

Annette

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Annette,

The "Due Date" is pretty important in Blackboard Learn, since it's used by the Notification system to fill in the "To Do" module for students to know when an upcoming test/assignment/etc. is going to be due (or is past due).  The Notification system also uses the Due Date to fill in the instructor's "Alerts" module that lets them know when students have tests or assignments that are past due.

Due dates are actually attached to the grade center column, not necessarily the test or assignment itself, so even things that are not submitted through Blackboard but which have a grade assigned can have a due date that can be utilized by the Notification system.

If you have your due dates all set far in the past, you may or may not see lots of "past due" notifications--I believe it depends on your notification settings.

Mike

Not Ranked
6 Posts

Michael,

I have a couple of questions about the due date feature. I have tried to play with it and assigned a due date to an assignment. I have then logged into BB as a student user. It shows nothing on the notificatin dashboard.

Can you give me directions on how to use this feature and where to set it up on my page? As said above, it works better when you set the due date through grade book for the entire class?

Do you have to make a due date rule under the early response system?

With this feature, it will use the whats due today? whats late? and show the students on their page?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

Does your school's server have the notification system turned on?  If not, then nothing will show up under the notification modules like "What's New", "To Do", etc....

The early warning system is a different thing altogether, intended to alert you when students have met certain criteria (that you set) which might indicate that the student is having problems.

Mike

Not Ranked
6 Posts

I dont have the answer to that question... I will ask our admin. If it is turned on, are the changes instant? Can you see them if you set a due date that has already expired? Cause I have done that and nothing has happened.

Thanks for the input.. i will let you know

Not Ranked
6 Posts

Do you know how our server administrator can turn that on? what section of the settings? I dont think we have dealt with this problem before.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

The administrator turns on the notification system for the server by looking under System Admin > Notifications and setting "Notification Collection" to "Enabled".  When you add new materials to a class, do you see a notification about them appear in "What's New"?  If so, then the notification system is turned on.  Note that it can take up to an hour for new notifications to register.

Of course, in order to see notifications about new materials being added, or assignments being due, or grades being posted, you also need to have indicated in your own personal notification settings that you *want* to be notified about those things, via the Dashboard and/or email (if your admin has email notifications turned on).  Look under Notifications Dashboard > Edit Notification Settings for your student account to make sure that the appropriate settings are checked.  Also, be sure that you when you're looking at "To Do", it's with an account that is enrolled as a student in that course, since instructors do not see anything under "To Do".

When you say you "haven't dealt with this problem before", do you mean that you're new to 9.1, or do you mean that notifications were working fine before but now they've stopped?

Mike

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

One more thing--be sure that what you're setting for dates is actually the "Due Date" and not the date and time restrictions (i.e. "Display After../Display Until...").  The "Due Date" will be visible both when editing the assignment and when editing the associated grade center column.

Mike

Not Ranked
6 Posts

Michael,

The Notification Dashboard was turned off. We turned it on, yet when posting an assignment with a due date we are still not seeing anything on the students dashboard. We also cannot find the dashboard settings you are talking about.

THanks for all your help.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

Did you turn on the Notifications Dashboard (which is just a place to display notifications modules), or did you turn on the whole Notifications system?   If you turned on the whole Notification system, do you see notifications appear in "What's New" when you add new content items to one of your courses?  The notifications will only appear for new items added after the Notification system was turned on--it doesn't go back and create notifications for things that were added earlier.

The "Edit Notification Settings" button normally appears at the top of pretty much every notifications module on the dashboard (What's New, To Do, etc.) and also under the "My Places" icon that's right next to the "Home", "Help", and "Logout" icons in the top frame.

Mike

Not Ranked
6 Posts

Michael,

I am an instructor with no Admin abilities. Under my places there is no such tab. I am guessing something is still not turned on. I will have my admin look into it further. If I post an assignment and it has a due date will it appear in the notification dashboard?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

Two questions:

1) When you look at the "To Do" module, the "What's New" module, the "Needs Attention" module, or the "Alerts" module, do you see a button at the top that says "Edit Notification Settings"?

2) When you add new content items to the course, do you see any notices about those new items under "What's New"?

Mike

Not Ranked
6 Posts

No, I see none of those things.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,882 Posts

Russell,

Then the Notification system is almost certainly disabled.  You need to talk to you system administrator.

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
8 Posts

We have the settings turned on. However, it works on some courses and does not work on others. What could be the problem?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS