Blackboard

Import Quiz/Test with Feedback

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Art Schneiderheinze posted on 2 Aug 2010 2:59 PM

I created an Excel spreadsheet template for faculty to use to create quiz/test questions. Faculty send me the template, and I use a Macro to export the necessary information to a .txt file. A question then appears like this (with TABS separating each piece of information):

TF The common thread in many definitions of leadership effectiveness is the focus on outcomes. true

or

MC Which of the following is not a factor that fuels the changes in leadership? increase in global competition incorrect political changes incorrect legal requirements correct demographic and social changes incorrect

Is there a way to also include feedback to the student? Faculty have never wanted to use this before, but I have a few now who would like to provide students with feedback on a few or even all of the questions. Not a big deal if the quiz is only 10 questions to manually enter the feedback for each question. However, if the quiz is test is longer---say 100 questions---it is extrememely time consuming to have to go into each question in Blackboard and enter feedback.

I am hoping there is a way to include feedback on my template---so it appears in the .txt file, perhaps as another item tabbed after the correct answers.

Any ideas? Thank you so much!!!

Art

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Art,

To make life easier, you may want to check out Respondus (http://www.respondus.com). The text file import in Respondus supports feedback and a wealth of other features including direct publishing to a course (not manual upload of files). 

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
7 Posts

While I am not familiar with all of the details of Respondus, I believe it is not free. Otherwise, we would have considered some commercial alternatives to test generation. Thanks for the reply though!

Top 25 Contributor
163 Posts

Art

You may want to consder introducing to your faculty a third party product like Respondus (http://respondus.com) to create the quiz files. Respondus can do a number of things including converting a Word or text based file in to a format that is compatable with all versions of Blackboard.  It does have the ability to add feedback to individual questions.

Hope this helps

Harold

Top 25 Contributor
163 Posts

Art

I see Dr C Bob and I gave you basically the same response. One thing that may make the price of buying a copy or 10 of Respondus more palatable is the cost of your labor over the lifetime of a Respondus license.   I suspect it would not take many times of you converting quizes for your faculty to equal the cost of a Respondus licence.

Just a thought in these tough economic times.

Harold

Not Ranked
7 Posts

I got excited for a second cause I saw, when I downloaded the LE version of Respondus, that the standard format of a question can include feedback, if it begins with a @ sign. For example:

------------------------------------------------

Title: Speed of Light

3) Who determined the exact speed of light?

@ Albert Michelson was the first American to win the Nobel Prize in Physics (1907) for his measurements of the speed of light. His experiments laid the groundwork for Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.

a. Albert Einstein

*b) Albert Michelson

c) Thomas Edison

d. Guglielmo Marconi

------------------------------------------------

I was hoping that I could just TAB and add feedback, starting with the @ sign, such as

MC[TAB]Which of the following is not a factor that fuels the changes in leadership?[TAB]increase in global competition[TAB]incorrect[TAB]political changes[TAB]incorrect[TAB]legal equirements[TAB]correct[TAB]demographic and social changes[TAB]incorrect[TAB]@ This is a tough question!

Note: The [TAB] is an actual tab.

I tried it and got a parse error in Blackboard. Darn.

Top 25 Contributor
163 Posts

Art

You might explore the IMS QTI website for an answer on the correct format.  IMS QTI is the standard that Blackboard follows for question and quiz markup.

http://www.imsglobal.org/question/

Good luck

Harold

Not Ranked
7 Posts

Thanks for the link; however, it gave me a headache trying to figure out what any of it means! LOL I suppose I'll keep looking...

Top 25 Contributor
163 Posts

Art

I will agree that the IMS stuff is a headache.  that is why I will still go back to my original suggestion and for you to obtain you a copy of Resondus.  It is really pretty cheap for what it does and will save you tons of effort.

Harold

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Art,

The full version of Respondus Single-User (@ $79 USD)  and Respondus Campus-wide, both support import of  csv/tab delimited files under the Blackboard personality. So you can take your existing spreadsheets, add the feedback columns, re-arrange the columns to meet the Respondus CSV Import format and then import the files into Respondus. (The Respondus LE version is strictly for instructors who adopt publisher test banks for use with printed exams, not online exams. You need to download the 30-day free trial of Respondus 4.0.2 Single-user.)

Like Harold, when I determined the cost of my time to the institution, Respondus Single-user paid for itself after one use. Like some other institutions, we may be in a LMS migration very soon and Respondus will be a key tool in moving tests between the two systems.

Cheers,

Bob

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS