Blackboard

Due Dates on Discussion Boards and Assessments

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
9 Posts
Laura Lowden posted on 28 May 2010 12:01 PM

I know that you can create "availability" dates for DBs and Assessments, but where can you create due dates so they show up correctly in the Notifications Dashboard for students correctly?

When going into the Grade Center ->Manage->Column Organization, You can see "due dates" listed by Discussion Boards and Assessments, but these dates are very old and from when they were in 7.3 (we recently upgraded to 9.1).

I even tried to circumvent this by using the Early Warning System, and while you can create a due date rule and select the test or DB, the due dates are the old dates (as I can't find where to put the "new" due dates in).

Hopefully someone knows where I can change and enter new due dates for Discussion Boards and Assessments..

Laura

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,766 Posts

Laura,

You can change the due dates on these columns by going selecting "Edit Column Information" from the pull-down column menu in the header of each column. 

Mike

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,766 Posts

Laura,

You can change the due dates on these columns by going selecting "Edit Column Information" from the pull-down column menu in the header of each column. 

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
Female
9 Posts

Thank you!

Of all the places we looked (and I thought I checked this but must not have scrolled down)...

Not Ranked
2 Posts

IS there a way to make Discussion Board notifications to appear in the "To Do" Module?  Even after setting the due date through the grade center, it does not appear.  Is it possible to make discussion board posts appear in the "To Do" module?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,766 Posts

Randy,

Although it would make sense for any item in the Grade Center with a due date to be able to raise a notice in the "To Do" notification module, I only see specific references to assessments (tests), assignments, and  surveys. 

Looking closer, I think that the "Item Due" setting under Notification Settings should be covering any grade center column, including discussion boards. You might make sure that you have the "Item Due" notification setting enabled for the Dashboard, under Notification Dashboard Settings. 

Also, remember that "To Do" is only for courses in which you are enrolled, not courses you are teaching.  The instructor's view under "Alerts" does not show due dates themselves, only students who have items that are Past Due.  In "Alerts", I do see discussion board columns with due dates as shown as "past due" for those students who do not have grades after the due date has passed.

Mike

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Thanks for the reply.  It turns out that it does in fact populate the student "To Do" list, but there is a considerable lag between the time that teacher inputs the discussion board instructions vs. the time that it populates the "To Do" list on the student view.  The lag appears to take 2-3 hours in some cases.  Has anyone else experienced such a long lag?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS