Blackboard

Blackboard 9 Group Sets

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Deborah Miller posted on 8 Feb 2010 9:41 AM

When creating Self-Enroll group sets, Sign Up sheet only, are students only pemitted to enroll in one group of the set? Can't find any documentation that states how this should work.

Interestingly, the issue came up because an instructor reported a problem in that students could only enroll in 1 or 2, and she wanted to allow them to enroll in 3, but as there are no "overlap" choices, I suspect the bug is that they were able to enroll in more than 1.

Thanks,

Deb

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Deborah,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  As far as I can determine, the sign-up sheets for a group set will disappear for the student once the student has signed up for one of the groups.  However, if the student uses something like "open in new window" rather than following the link to open a specific signup sheet, they can sign up for more than one group in a group set.  

It may be a bug that they're allowed to sign up for more than one group, but like you, I can't find any documentation that specifies whether students should or shouldn't be able to self-enroll for more than one group in a group set.  The system seems to make it difficult, but I know that there's no problem with an instructor adding a student to multiple groups within a group set.

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
10 Posts

Hi,

From my experimentation and enquiries with my university, group sets are supposed to restrict students from enrolling into more than one group. Instructors can enrol into more than one.

A problem I found is that with manual enrol group sets, the numbers of students in each group cannot be controlled – students will be equally distributed into each group. An individual group allows a maximum amount of students to be set. What I would like is a bunch of groups that restrict student enrolment to one group, but also allows the Instructor to set the maximum size.

Dean

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Dean,

I assume you're talking about self-enroll group sets, not manual enroll (i.e. instructor-enroll) group sets.  With self-enroll group sets, the instructor can set a maximum number of students that can enroll in each group, and (generally) students can only enroll in one group from the group set.   However, the groups in the group set all have the same size restriction, as you've seen, though the instructor can override this by manually adding or removing students from the groups.  But there isn't a way to set different size restrictions on the self-enroll groups within a group set. 

That doesn't mean that students have to be "equally distributed" among the groups, only that all the groups have the same maximum size, which may be much larger than # students / # groups.

Does that make sense?

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
12 Posts

Hi Mike -

When I create a Self-Enroll group in Bb9.0, I select Sign-up Sheet Only.  With my user account, I am able to sign up for the group, but the link for the group is not active for the student account.  So I am able to sign up for a group by clicking the Sign Up button, but then cannot access the group from the Group area.  What am I missing?

Thanks

michael

Top 500 Contributor
12 Posts

Here is the "error" message my student account is seeing:

Success: You have successfully enrolled in the group. The Group space is currently unavailable.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Michael,

That is the difference between setting the "Group Available" setting to "Yes", or to "Sign-up Sheet Only".  Making the group available gives members access to the group page and all the group tools, while "Sign-up Sheet Only" means that students can sign up for the groups but the group page/tools/etc. are not actually available to members yet.

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
12 Posts

Ok...Thanks!

So once students sign up for the group, the instructor has to go back into the group settings and make it available?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Michael,

Or the instructor could simply make the group available to begin with.

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
12 Posts

But if the sign-up option is checked, then the Yes cannot be checked.  That is why I am confused - why have a sign-up option if students cannot access the group after they have signed up?  It seems to me that the group availability needs to be changed to Yes for students to access it - but shouldn't it be available once a student signs up for the group?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Michael,

If the group availability on a self-enrollment group is set to "Yes", students automatically get a sign-up option included as part of making the group available.  The "sign-up sheet only" option is there if you want to allow them to sign up but not have the group available.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS