Blackboard

using black board with a mac computer

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
ajay posted on 25 Jan 2010 7:59 PM

I have a macbook pro, version 10.5.8 and safari version 4.0.4

when i use the check browser, it says my browser is not supported, so i went to see what browsers were supported and only earlier versions of safari are tested as certified.

i can see blackboard and download things from it.  will i be running into problems down the road?

how is it possible for me to have the newest and most updated versions, but only the older ones are supported?

please help

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Verified by Harold Powers

You should not find any major problems.  Blackboard has to run new browsers and the Blackboard software through a bunch of tests before they certify it.  As they certify them patches to your schools BLackboard server is released.  Your school has to install those patches.  So many times there is no problem with your browser and Blackboard, but occasionally you can run into a few minor snags. I use Safari 4.0.4 with Blackboard and I have not had any show stoppers.

All Replies

Verified by Harold Powers

You should not find any major problems.  Blackboard has to run new browsers and the Blackboard software through a bunch of tests before they certify it.  As they certify them patches to your schools BLackboard server is released.  Your school has to install those patches.  So many times there is no problem with your browser and Blackboard, but occasionally you can run into a few minor snags. I use Safari 4.0.4 with Blackboard and I have not had any show stoppers.

Not Ranked
1 Posts

I just purchased my Mac-Pro yesterday for online studies, and still can't access Blackboard. I currently have Safari version 4.0.

I have been previously trying to get into Blackboard on another Mac yet to no avail. All the settings are correct but my "browser" seems to be not accepted.

I live quite far away from the nearest campus and can't seem to find a contact number for IT help.

Could someone please help? as my classes have probably already started.

Regards,

kitty

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Kitty,

As Dr C Kevin, mentioned Macintosh users along with Windows 7 users have very little problem accessing the latest versions of Blackboard even though the latest browsers may not be supported. Usually, when there are problems it is related to your school still using a much older version of Blackboard LS "Classic" or Blackboard "WebCT" Vista/Campus Edition that was released before the newer versions of Safari and Internet Explorer 8 was released.

Do you know the version of Blackboard used by your school? A quick way to check is Blackboard LS "Classic" and Blackboard Learn 9.0 have a graphical home button and logout button in the top centre of the browser window. Blackboard "WebCT" Vista/Campus Edition and the older WebCT CE 4.1 all have a text-based logout link in the upper right corner.  If you can tell us the version of Blackboard at your school, that will help us give you more specific assistance.

Are you getting a browser checker window that indicates Safari is an unsupported browser? If so, that is a good indication your school is running Blackboard "WebCT" Vista 4-8/Campus Edition 6-8. If all the other tests are "green checks" except for the browser version, then don't worry about it. Safari 4.0.4 can be used a majority of Blackboard Vista/Campus Edition. Like Dr C Kevin, I use Macintosh systems with the latest version of Safari without problems even with the nagging browser checker message.

As an alternative, you can use a supported version of FireFox 3.0.x (not FireFox 3.5/3.6 unless you want to see the same unsupported warning.)  You can find FireFox 3.0.18 for Macintosh in the Mozilla archives at http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.18/mac/en-US/Firefox 3.0.18.dmg and for Windows at http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.18/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 3.0.18.exe

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Hi,

I have run into a similar problem using Firefox 3.5 and 3.6, however my check browser window also says my Java Runtime Environment is not supported. I am guessing this is why I cannot get into chats or upload documents? I've tried it in Safari and it says the same thing, still won't work. My school also is using the older version of Web CT.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Laura

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Laura,

As mentioned in the previous post, can you tell us the specific version of Blackboard "WebCT" at your school. For Blackboard "WebCT" Vista/Campus Edition, click on the "Check Browser" link in the upper right corner. In the Browser Checker window that appears, copy the Blackboard version listed in the upper right corner and paste into your reply.

Also, can you tell us what model Macintosh and the operating system? Click on the "Apple" menu in the upper left corner and select "About this Mac". 

Finally, go to System Preferences->Software Update and click the "Check Now" button to make sure your version of Mac OS X is up-to-date.

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Hi Bob,

I am using a MacBook 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.2 on it. And this is what the Browser check window said: (Release Vista 8.0.3) [18.0.3.74. I've already done the software update.

Let me know if you need any other info, thanks,

Laura

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Laura,

Try these steps:

1. Log out of Blackboard Vista and close all browsers.

2. Go to Finder->Applications->Utilities->Java Preferences

3. In the "General" view, move the "Java SE 6 32-bit" so it's above the "Java SE 6 64-bit" in both "preferred order" windows.

4. In the "Network" view, select "Delete Files" and accept the prompt to delete all temporary files.

5. Close the Java preferences.

6. Start Safari and "Empty Cache" under the Safari menu.

7. Log back into Blackboard Vista, allow the browser check to run. Scroll down to verify the Java shows a green check.

These steps will force a fresh download of the Java applets from Bb Vista.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Hi Bob,

I am still having the same problem with logging in on my blackboard even though i tried all of your alternatives. I just bought a macbook pro yesterday so its the newest version they have. Its the mac osx 10.6 & safari 4. My school uses the Vista 8.0 and Campus Edition 8.0 & it says there that my operating system is compatible WITH 8.0 SP3 HF1 only. What do they mean by that?

I've downloaded the firefox 3 & 3.5 but it was still unsupported. Much help is appreciated. Please reply back soon. Thank you.

Jill

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Jillian,

Are you having any other problems using your MacBook to access your school's Blackboard Vista/CE system other than the warning in the Browser Checker when you first log in? 

Also, can you tell us the specific version of Blackboard Vista/CE at your institution? Just start Check Browser and look in the upper right corner of the Browser Checker pop-up window. You should see something like "Blackboard Learning System - Vista Enterprise License (Release Vista 8.0.3) [18.0.3.74]". You will need to contact your school's Blackboard Administrator to find out if Hotfix 1 has been installed.

If you only get the notice that Safari 4.0.x or Firefox 3.5/3.6 is unsupported in the Browser Checker, you can continue to use both browsers. "Unsupported" can mean that the browser version has not been tested with the particular version of Blackboard Vista/CE at this time. There are many of us using Safari 4.x and FireFox 3.5/3.6 on Macintosh without any problems.

However, if you start running into problems such as not being able to compose discussion messages, navigate through content or take a quiz, then we recommend you contact your Help Desk or Blackboard Administrator for assistance.

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Hey there Bob,

Well, yeah the main problem that i'm having is that when i type in my username and password, it says that i have entered an incorrect user name or password which i highly doubt because i know what my username and password is. It doesn't even recognize my email when i try to retrieve my password. Also when i checked my browser, everything has a check mark on except the browser and it says that my browser is either non-validated or unsupported for use with the Learning System. It appears that you are using Safari® Version 531.22.7 browser.

My school uses Blackboard Learning System - CE Enterprise License (Release CE 8.0.3) [18.0.3.74].

Thank you so much. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Jill

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Blackboard Learning System - Vista Enterprise License (Release Vista 8.0.6) [18.0.6.117

is the version I am using for some reason every time I post to the course room my safari crashes I am running safari 6.0 and Java 6.0 on mountain lion.

How can I fix this I have done all you suggested so far and nothing worked.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Stacie,

Vista 8 is a relatively old Blackboard version, and is not listed as being compatible with Safari 6 nor with Mountain Lion (see the compatibility list at http://kb.blackboard.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=76087304, or use the "Check Browser" link on your school's Blackboard Vista login page).   You might try Firefox to see if it works better for you.

Mike

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Just got off the phone with the school and they told me that firefox, Safari and Crome are all not supported UGGGGG so now what do I do? I realize that the version they are using is A Dinosaur but I have to live with it till they upgrade because I do not have control over what the school uses. are there any fixes that I can do to try and live with it until they upgrade?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,884 Posts

Stacie,

Well, the "final release channel" for Firefox is supported (though Mountain Lion isn't), but that was Firefox 3.6 or 4 when Vista 8.0.6 came out.  Your only real option is to look for an older version of Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html) and try it to see how it works for you.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS