Blackboard

BB 9.1 Performance Issue: HTTPS requests to IP address 0.0.0.0 hang for long periods

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
38 Posts
Guy Heatley posted on 1 May 2012 9:26 AM

Hi, I have been looking into some performance issues with the front end of BlackBoard as rendered in the browser. Users have reported intermittent long delays in the rendering of pages. This seems to be worst in Internet Explorer.

Having captured traffic I have spotted a request from the browser to https://0.0.0.0 which seems to hang for around a minute before presumably timing out.

Does anyone know what this request is for and why the page should make it?

As far as I am concerned the IP address 0.0.0.0 means "unspecified address" and from trawling around on the Internet I think the page may be trying to either resolve the IP address(es) of the local machine or pick up the default route to the local network proxy server.

More to the point - what can I do about it?

This seems to happen on 9.1 sp 8 and earlier releases.

Thanks for any advice!

Guy

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
30 Posts

Hi guy

Did you make any changes, when this did start to happen? when you updated your BB to SP8?

Top 75 Contributor
38 Posts

Hi UoB!

Servers that still run SP5 (we didn't apply SP7) seem to allow web clients exhibit the same behavior, although all this behavior is intermittent.

Guy

Top 100 Contributor
30 Posts

Hi guy

that shouldn't happen , I'm afraid that you have a serious problem, check bb-config.properties and write your bb url to check

Top 75 Contributor
38 Posts

Hi, Which particular settings in bb-config.properties need to be verified?

Thanks,

Guy

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,848 Posts

Guy,

I would probably open a ticket with Blackboard about this, so they can go over your server configuration in more detail.

Since the request from the browser to http://0.0.0.0 is coming from the browser on the client side, though, how are you verifying that it's related to something Blackboard's doing?  Are you seeing links to https://0.0.0.0 on any of the data that Blackboard's sending out?

Mike

Top 75 Contributor
38 Posts

Hi Mike,

Good point, but no-one has reported general browser problems - only when using Blackboard. Hang times seem far worse in IE than any other browser it has to be said.

I'll raise a ticket.

Cheers,

Guy

Top 500 Contributor
Male
7 Posts

Hi Guy

Did you ever get this resolved? We are running 9.1 SP7 HF1 and seeing this issue on our student Windows 7 machines with IE 8. Doesn't appear to affect Firefox but only IE.

Kind Regards

Brendan

Cheers,

Brendan Homann

Top 75 Contributor
38 Posts

Hi Brendan,

No the issue still exists for us as far as I know. The policy so far has been to inform the IT helpdesk to advise any users who suffer from the problem to use Firefox / Chrome.

I was going to raise a ticket with BB support but haven't got around to it yet - I have been working on something completely different.

Guy

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS