Blackboard

we need to integrate Peoplesoft Campus Solution with Black Board

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Zubair

you simply have to generate these files to a shared network location, and then BB team can upload them via GUI by setting up the correct Integration Adapter according to the support Standard in your XML files (IMS Enterprise 1.1, IMS LIS 2.0,...etc), as simple as that,uploading via GUI

Regards

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Zubair

one extra note, I'm afraid that IMS LIS 1.0 is not supported in sp8

Regards

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035

Zubair,

When you generate these XML files from PeopleSoft SAIP, where are they stored?  The curl script is run on the machine where the files are stored, to send them over to the Blackboard server with an HTTP connection.   The address of this HTTP connection is shown when you set up the integration on Blackboard.

When the files are sent over this HTTP connection, Blackboard processes them automatically.  So the scheduling is not done on Blackboard.   Instead, you schedule the HTTP upload on the server where the XML files are generated or saved.  We do not have PeopleSoft SAIP, but I believe that it can send the files directly to Blackboard, without using a curl.  At least, that's the way I'm understanding the bottom of page 5 and 6 in this SAIP documentation (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29389_01/psft/acrobat/hrcs90lsas-b0312.pdf)

Mike

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

HI mike

that's not a good practice, because BB have a slave mentality, it will never say no, so any mistake from SIS can remove all the data, it always better if you manage this yourself rather than handling this from SIS..

Regards

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035

If you automate snapshot processing--as most institutions do--then Blackboard will also never say "no".  

Regardless of how you choose to do it, the new Data Integration Framework is built around web services, and is initiated by sending data to Blackboard over HTTP from somewhere.

Mike

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Mike

you are right, it is two similar ends, but the question is Who will pay for this kind of mistakes? and Who is the responsible (BB,SIS) ?

Regards

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035

I'm afraid the question of "Who is responsible?" when your SIS system generates bad data is somewhat outside the scope of this discussion, or of Dr. Cs.

Mike

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Mike

the idea of the new "Web-Services" is to get rid of the "Snapshot Client" , and this is the base for further development to support "Live Integration" ,there is a purpose behind that , it is not like we have to accept it and go with it

Regards

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035

If you'll look back at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that Zubair was specifically asking about using web services for integration with the new Data Integration Framework.

Mike

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035
Michael Zimmerman replied on 1 May 2012 9:20 AM

It looks like Blackboard has just published an SIS Data Integration Handbook, which is linked at the bottom of KB article on the snapshot client being deprecated (https://blackboard.secure.force.com/btbb_TSGArticleView?Id=50170000000WmqnAAC&RecordType=01270000000Hip5AAC).  The handbook is a Word document, which may mean that it's still a work in progress, but the direct link is https://blackboard.secure.force.com/AttachmentRedirect?bname=Kb-Attachments&fname=SIS+Integration+Framework+handbook-2012-4-30-15-46-50.docx&aws=AKIAJ7CS4QGS2DUC7WIA&sec=9kj8vt7mrLqMEn6Tfx3NCB/jWJkawjKmoUcXpwAS&uval=article

Mike

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Hey Mike, if we wanted to pull in course information to display in Peoplesoft for each student or faculty, are we looking at using web services from Learn 9.1? Is SIS integration more about updating Student Info in BB rather than the other direction?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 30

Hi Carmino

if you want data from BB to other systems, you are talking about web-services which is already implemented and you can call it, the data direction in SIS integration framework is from SIS TO BB

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Thanks Berlin, just wanted to verify.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,035

Carmine,

The data integration framework is primarily about putting SIS info into Blackboard.  It's possible that SAIP in PeopleSoft may allow you to use the LIS integration to pull some information back from Blackboard, but I really don't know--you'd probably want to talk with your PeopleSoft folks about that.

Mike

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Tim Crisall replied on 8 May 2012 1:24 PM

Good morning,

I just came across this post and I thought I could share some of my self-taught experience integrating PeopleSoft Campus Solutions 9.0 using SAIP with BB Learn 9.1 SP8.

First off - it's important to understand a bit of the lineage of the SAIP product.  It was originally introduced as a bolt-on product - merged with the base Campus Solutions product in bundle 10, then had significant functionality enhancements at CS bundle  12, 15 and 22 (there may be others but that’s close).  I found it necessary to do this research in order to get an accurate (although slim) set of documentation for my PeopleSoft release.

Up to bundle 22 the IMS which SAIP output was IMS Enterprise Services v1 - which is not at all compatible with the IMS Enterprise v1.1 snapshot XML or LIS v2.0 web services which BB Learn 9.1 SP8 is capable of.  At bundle 22 SAIP is capable of outputting LIS v2.0 web services and I have successfully played with getting person, classes and membership to message between a bundle 22 PeopleSoft and BB Learn 9.1 SP8.

In our particular case we are behind in our PeopleSoft Patching - and are currently in production at Bundle 15.  This means that the XML output of SAIP is not understood by ANY of the BB IMS integrations.

What I've done to overcome this - is to replace the delivered PeopleSoft transforms provided as part of SAIP.  Fortunately - this is made quite easy to do.  It seems that PeopleSoft SAIP was written to fit into an overall framework within Campus Solutions called the SAE framework.  This framework is leveraged to produce the event triggers required for real time integration or to flag transactions to later be picked up during batch based sync operations.  As mentioned, using Setup SACR screens any of the individual service operations can be assigned a transform other than what was delivered.

It was a PeopleSoft development effort to make a new application package, to copy all of the delivered transforms into it, and then customize the transforms to output IMS enterprise XML. 

Using this technique I've been able to create 'custom transforms' which I enabled thru PeopleSoft configuration and the output is IMS Enterprise 1.1 XML for group (sections, terms, hierarchy nodes and associated relationships), person (students and instructors) and membership (enrollment).

Now - as I'm still at the proof of concept stage, I've built a PHP 'engine' to play the role of batch engine to orchestrate the integration.  This should be replaced and moved back into PeopleSoft before we hit production but this is currently not developed.

The PHP code sends a SOAP message to PeopleSoft Integration broker kicking off the readgroups service operation within the groupmanagementservice.  This SOAP call returns a 'promise' that PeopleSoft will fulfill the job and a FTP URL where you can expect the results to be 'when the promise is fulfilled' (in reality this is when a PeopleSoft AppEngine completes).

When configuring my SAIP target system  I enabled a service operation called BULKDATAEXCHANGEMGMTSERVICE which will send a SOAP operation to a defined URL whenever a SAIP sync operation is completed.  In this case - I have the operation sending a soap message back to my PHP code which now knows the 'promise' is fulfilled.  The PHP then takes the contents of the file from the FTP server and POSTS this to the Blackboard Learn IMS 1.1 integration web service Endpoint URL along with a BasicAuth header using the username and password setup when the BB integration was defined. 

This cycle is repeated within the PHP for readCourseSections, then readPersons and last readMemberships.

It’s unfortunate that all of the shiny brochures for all of these products make it sound ‘easy’ and the fact that we use ‘standards’ is great.  The devil is always in the details and you really have to get under the hood to first understand it – then to make it work.  I’m feeling very optimistic about our ability to use SAIP within our University to integrate with Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP8.

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS