Blackboard

Test Student Account - Sees hidden links? SP8

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
156 Posts
John Scognamiglio posted on 19 Mar 2012 9:32 AM

Hi,

I was testing something, unrelated to this, but I had made a few links on the course menu hidden - then I logged in as a student and I could see and click the links. I checked the role of the student, and it was student, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Any idea?

SUNY Cortland's instructional designer

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,042 Posts

John,

Can you describe in a little more detail what kind of items you're hiding, and how you're doing it?  When I open the options for a menu button in the course menu and choose "Hide Link", then the menu button is shown with a slash/square "hidden" icon next to the name.

At that point, if I toggle the "Edit mode" button to "off" as an instructor, I no longer see those hidden menu buttons in the menu.  Also, if I log into the course as a user who is enrolled as a student in the course, I do not see them either.  An as instructor, if I look under Control Panel > Evaluation > Performance Dashboard, then click on the "Adaptive Release" column for the student in question, I can see that those top-level menu buttons show an "eye with a slash" icon, meaning they are not visible to that user.

How does that compare with what you're seeing?

Mike

Top 10 Contributor
156 Posts

Sure,

What I'm doing is this.
Instructor role: Go into course, make course link hidden.

Student: can see / click hidden links.

Perhaps this PDF can help too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10058675/BBL/CourseMenu.pdf

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,042 Posts

John,

The screenshot helps.  However, regular users do not have an "Edit" mode when they are students in a class.  Only users who are instructors (or TA's, etc.) in the class have that, or administrators.   Does your test student account have an administrator role?  If so, it's not really much use in trying to see what students see...

Mike

Top 10 Contributor
156 Posts

No, it does not.

EDIT:
Actually, I"m going to check with my system admin now, because my colleague cannot see the menu items from their account.

I didn't think it had an admin role, as I didn't see the system admin tab.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,042 Posts

Well, there's something unusual about that test student account, since it has an Edit Mode toggle, and regular students in a class do not have that.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS