Blackboard

Safe Assign and Rubrics

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Kara Coleman posted on 1 Nov 2011 4:24 PM

Hello,

We've been running a few test courses with the new Rubric tool. We've had great success so far; however, when we attempt to attach a rubric to a Safe Assignment, we hit a bump. It looks like we can only associate the rubric with the Grade Center column and even after it has been associated there is no way for the instructor to utilize it, OR for the student to view it.  Did we over look something? Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Kara - what version of Blackboard are you running? In version 9.1 sp6 students can view the rubric. In previous versions, they cannot, you aren't missing anything.

paige

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Thanks for the response Page,

We're running v9.1 SP6 as well.

We haven't had any trouble with any of the assignment types except SAs. At the moment, the rubric does not even show up when the instructor clicks on the Needs Grading Icon in order to review and assign a grade. Also, I can't assign a rubric to a SA when the link is created, I have to assign it to the Grade Center column which might have something to do with why it can't be used in grading.

Are you able to associate a rubric with the SA upon creation?

Kara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Hi Kara - thanks for the extra info. Since you are on sp6 they can be seen for other assignments, but Bb has not incorporated them into safe assignments at this time. You can submit this request at http://suggestions.blackboard.com.

paige

Not Ranked
4 Posts

I believe I have found a solution to SA - not as "interactive" but clearly workable solution/

The association of SA and Rubric is done thru Grade Center when you "Edit Column".  When you "Edit Column" of Grade Center, the instructor will see the "Add Rubric" icon. 

Setting up the Rubric for SA allows for students to click and view Rubric in their Grade Center, again not as "real-time" as the rubric associated with an Assignment or Discussion Board.

How to grade?

Scoring is then done thru the "Full Grade Center".

First you will download the attachment.  Find the Green Explanation Point, click on "View User Activity", click on 'down arrow', allowing you to open the attachment.  View the student's submitted work.

Now you are ready to grade:  Page back on your browser and NOW select "Edit Grade".  You will see the "View Rubric" icon.  Triggers pop-up matrix.  Make your entries into matrix, followed up clicking on "Submit".  Note that the "Current Grade Value" is filled with the points associated with the selected criteria of the pop-up matrix.

One more "Save" on the "Grade Details" screen and the Rubric and Feedback screen are saved.

Student now can view their "My Grades" tab.  The SA entry will contain the points and the "Rubric"  icon.  When the student clicks on "Rubric" icon, the pop-up matrix is triggered showing the points, criteria, and feedback that was entered that we performed in "Now you are ready to Grade", above).

Not Ranked
4 Posts

I believe I have found a solution to SA - not as "interactive" but clearly workable solution/

The association of SA and Rubric is done thru Grade Center when you "Edit Column".  When you "Edit Column" of Grade Center, the instructor will see the "Add Rubric" icon. 

Setting up the Rubric for SA allows for students to click and view Rubric in their Grade Center, again not as "real-time" as the rubric associated with an Assignment or Discussion Board.

How to grade?

Scoring is then done thru the "Full Grade Center".

First you will download the attachment.  Find the Green Explanation Point, click on "View User Activity", click on 'down arrow', allowing you to open the attachment.  View the student's submitted work.

Now you are ready to grade:  Page back on your browser and NOW select "Edit Grade".  You will see the "View Rubric" icon.  Triggers pop-up matrix.  Make your entries into matrix, followed up clicking on "Submit".  Note that the "Current Grade Value" is filled with the points associated with the selected criteria of the pop-up matrix.

One more "Save" on the "Grade Details" screen and the Rubric and Feedback screen are saved.

Student now can view their "My Grades" tab.  The SA entry will contain the points and the "Rubric"  icon.  When the student clicks on "Rubric" icon, the pop-up matrix is triggered showing the points, criteria, and feedback that was entered that we performed in "Now you are ready to Grade", above).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS