Blackboard

Adaptive Release inconsistently releasing item

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
26 Posts
Kati Gordon posted on 13 Sep 2011 5:49 PM

Hello,

Students are reporting that the adaptively released item is not becoming available to them even though the criteria has been met.  The criteria requires students to score X points on a quiz before another quiz is released.  I've not been able to identify if it is one browser in particular but to be honest I've not found a single browser that behaves consistently in 9.1.  My thought is maybe it is a browser cache issue as some students report the quiz does show up a few days later.  Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  We are on Service Pack 6.

Thanks,
Kati

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Hi Kati,

It's possible that it's a browser cache issue.  I've also seen a lot of instances where the adaptive release criteria were not testing for quite what the instructor thought they were testing for, so the item never became available.  This seems to be  a particular issue with "Grade" type criteria, where instructors seem inclined to use the grade on "Test A" as the criteria for making "Test A" available.

Assuming it's not something so simple as that, a quick way to tell whether the student should be able to see a particular item under adaptive release is to look under Control Panel > Evaluation > Performance Dashboard.  There is an "adaptive release" column there that will let you see which items are visible (open eye) or not visible (closed eye) for each student.  If the eye is open but the student say's they're not seeing the item, then it's likely a caching issue, or perhaps there's some kind of bad MS Word formatting included in an item above it that prevents it from displaying in IE--I've seen that, too.  On the other hand, if Performance Dashboard indicates that the item is not visible to the student, then you want to start looking at the adaptive release criteria.

Mike

Top 100 Contributor
26 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up Mike.  Since the adaptive release has worked for the majority of students I think its browser related.  I'll have to keep in mind the bad MS Word formatting....that doesn't sounds like fun at all!

Top 100 Contributor
26 Posts

As an update to this issue, I am starting to see a pattern in which if there is an in-progress attempt in the source column than the adaptive release is not triggered.  I will have to do some testing to confirm this but wonder if anyone else can confirm this behavior.

Thanks,
Kati

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Kati,

That makes sense.  You can set up an adaptive release rule to be triggered when an attempt is submitted, but an in-progress attempt would not be enough to trigger it.  Likewise, you can set it to trigger based on having a particular grade in the associated column, but if there's an in-progress attempt, then the grade is not determined while that attempt is still in progress, unless there's already one attempt submitted and the grade is only based on the first attempt.

Mike

Top 150 Contributor
Female
21 Posts

Has anyone seen adaptive release rules not being deployed because of html coding as a result of copying and pasting text from word?  We have a situation where even using the paste from word mashup consistently prevents ARules working on 'at least one attempt has been made' for an assignment.    Once the code is stripped out, the rules work as expected.  Is this a  known issue?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Schelly,

I have definitely seen code pasted from Word interfere with the way things are displayed in Blackboard, though I haven't seen it happen with content added with the "Paste from Word" mashup.   Ideally there should be very little code left by the mashup.   What sort of code is left that has to be removed?

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS