Blackboard

HTML path syntax for cross-course links?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Dan Hillman posted on 27 Jul 2011 11:40 AM

Hello

As the CSS guy for my department, I’m very excited about 9.1’s ability to use information across courses. I’d love to be able to have master items in one course and have other courses link to them, especially since all of our content is written in HTML then uploaded. However, I’m stumped on the syntax to actually link to items across courses.

I’ve tried different variants of hard-coded URLs like:
          https://example.bu.edu/bbcswebdav/courses/007/css/main.css
and relative links like:
          ./bbcswebdav/courses/007/css/main.css
but no luck. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Thanks,
Dan

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
7,804 Posts

Dan,

Does your school have the Content System?  Blackboard isn't really set up to share files across courses unless you have licensed the Content System.  Otherwise, only users who are enrolled in the class where the file is stored have permissions to see the file.

Mike

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Mike,

Yes, we licensed the Content System. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to be using?

Thanks,
Dan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Dan - I'm on sp3 and the only way that I know how to create content and share it is through the Reusable objects or the Learning Objects area. I'm not sure how to do it with code. Bb is coming out with a way to share items from a master type course but I believe to start it is just with assignments & assessments. I'm thinking this is part of sp8.

paige

Top 10 Contributor
Male
690 Posts

We have the content system at our college, but we are still working on doing more sharing as you are Dan, across courses. 

Anyway, hard links should work if the sharing is set correctly on the file itself.  Probably better though is to use the XID link which should look something like: /bbcswebdav/xid-1234_5 

The reason is that if you ever move your files or change their names through the GUI in the Content System, this link will still work because it resolves to the correct location and name.

Hope that helps a little.

Eric

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS