Blackboard

Listing members of groups/groups that a student is a member in.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
4 Posts
Frank posted on 10 Mar 2011 6:01 AM

I asked my students to form groups and then enrol in one of 30 self-enroll groups in Blackboard 9.1.
I created these self-enroll groups using the "Group Set" feature.

Now, I need to be able to tell which group a student is a member of. E.g. I want to verify that a student is only member of 1 group and not multiple groups. I was hoping to see some information about that in the user list or the grade center. But currently, it appears as if I have to click on each group to see who is a member of that group - and then manually record and keep track of this information in a Microsoft Excel sheet.

Isn't there an easier way to either list/export the groups with the members' names for each group or list the students names with the names of the groups that they are in? If so, where do I find that feature?

Thanks in advance for any pointers into the right direction!

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
121 Posts

Since groups have several ways they can populate I am not going to try to figure out which exact ways you did this.  

I will make the suggestion that you use the sign up sheet option next time.  This allows you to see everyone in their group instantly and allows students to self enroll.

Erick

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Frank - you can set up smartviews in the grade center to show group members. I have several groups in my course and created a smartview for each one. I also created a text column in the grade center and put their group info in that column so I could easily see/sort on group.

paige

Not Ranked
Male
4 Posts

Erick,

I wouldn't even know how to create a group without a sign up sheet.

The groups do have a sign up sheet  - otherwise, how would the students be able to self enroll? I am not aware of a way to create self-enrol groups without a sign up sheet. But then again, I just started learning about the features of this new Blackboard system.
However: The sign up sheets cannot be exported or compiled for the purpose I described above. Also, since I currently have set a limit of 6 members per group, the sign up sheet seems to disappear when the member limit is reached - i.e. one only sees the sign up sheet while there's still space for an additional member in the group.

Thanks for trying to help, though!

Not Ranked
Male
4 Posts
Frank replied on 10 Mar 2011 10:01 AM

Paige,

Thanks! I looked at creating "Reports", but never thought about using the Smart Views. I've tried them - but so far am not quite able to create the view that I need. The only thing that seems to get me close to what I need is creating 30 Smart Views - one for each group - to display the team members for each group. I'd then at least be able to export these into a Microsoft Excel file and compare/combine the data there.

I'll play around with those a bit and see how much that will help. 

So, again: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Yes, it isn't perfect, but it did help. That is also why I created the text column. Then I would pull up the smart view showing who was in each group and put the group code in the text column. After that, I didn't have to use the smartviews if I don't want, since I have a column that tells me who is in which group. It does take some time to set them up (I had about 20 groups) but it is much easier to manage now that I took the time to set it up.

Hope it works for you.

paige

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,035 Posts
Michael Zimmerman replied on 10 Mar 2011 10:32 AM

Frank,

Since these self-enrollment groups were created as a group set, you can view them all together by looking under "Users and Groups" > "Groups", then choosing "Group Sets" from the "All Groups / Group Sets" toggle in the upper right corner. This lets shows you the group set as a single unit, so you can choose "Edit Set Enrollments" from the pull-down item menu for the group set, and see the enrollments of each of the groups in the group set listed together on the page.  There's even an option to "Remove Members already in a Group from the Available Members List", but that's really to keep you from adding a person to multiple groups if you are setting enrollments manually--I don't think it really helps if the students have already self-enrolled in more than one group.

Mike

Not Ranked
Male
4 Posts

Paige:

Yes, I'll do the same thing then. Your approach will actually help me avoid having to export and merge the data. So, thanks again for explaining your approach!

Mike:

I looked at that, and that's actually quite helpful too - since I am sure I will have some students who will not have a group by the time they are supposed to start working in groups. The "Remove Members already in a Group from the Available Members List" feature will help me identify these students.

Thanks to both of you for your help!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS