Blackboard

Blogs vs. Journal

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 113
Christine Posted: 28 Sep 2010 10:08 AM

I have looked at both the Blog and Journal tools in Blackboard 9.1. Currently I am using the Journal. I don't really see a difference between the two tools. Can someone please explain to me the difference? Where would one be beneficial over the other?Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 255

Hi Christine,

See my response on the differences between discussions, blogs and journals in http://discussions.blackboard.com/forums/p/48708/148827.aspx 

In a nutshell, "Journals" are like "personal blogs" with only one contributor or author to a single blog.  "Blogs" are "group blogs" with two or more contributors or authors to a single blog.

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
Posts 7

Bob, it looks like you can choose between a class Blog or an individual Blog.  Is there a difference between an individual Blog and a Journal?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 8,092

Bonnie,

Blogs are, by default, designed to be visible to and allow comments from everyone in the class.  With an individual Blog, each person posts entries to their own Blog but everyone can see and comment on them.

Journals, on the other hand, are intended to be more reflective and private between the student and the instructor.  The student can post entries, and the instructor can add comments.  By default, no one but the student and the instructor can see that student's journal.  A journal can be made public so that others in the class can see the entries and comments.  However, no one but the instructor and the student whose journal it is can add comments.

Does that help?

Mike

Not Ranked
Posts 7

Yes, thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS