Blackboard

Why won't powerpoint print or save?? :(

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Lauren S. :) posted on 21 Sep 2010 2:27 PM

Whenever I click on the link for my teacher's powerpoint in Blackboard, a blank half-page comes up. At the top of that page it says 'To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options... ' And then I click it and choose the option 'Download File'. Now it says 'Do you want to open or save this file?' So I say 'Open'. It comes up in protected view and when I try to print it says 'The Internet address ‘https://ecampus.unt.edu/webct/urw/lc4228699914191.tp4282463153171/RelativeResourceManager?contentID=4321405145351’ is not valid.'  What does that mean?? It does the exact same thing when I go through and hit 'Save', too. Help please!!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Lauren,

I see that your school is running Blackboard "WebCT" Vista or Campus Edition. Office documents such as Word .doc and Powerpoint .ppt have always been problematic because of the various security changes constantly being implemented by Microsoft in Windows, Internet Explorer and MS-Office.

Beside using FireFox (or Safari) as suggested by Dr Corrie, unless there is an absolute need to have a native PowerPoint .ppt file, go back to your instructor and ask for a PDF version of the PowerPoint. With PowerPoint 2007, it's now very easy to save a PPT file as a PDF file. At my institution, we always tell faculty to avoid native Office documents and to provide PDF versions, which are much more "web friendly". This is regardless of the four learning management systems running here. 

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Bob

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
94 Posts

Hi Lauren,

You may want to check with your instructor to see if the PPT has been uploaded correctly.  Also, if you have an on-site Help Desk, call them to place a Help Desk ticket.  The Help Desk can contact the instructor and investigate if anything is amiss on the instructor's end with the PPT file.  Lastly, make sure you have PPT installed on the computer you are using so you can download and view the file correctly.

Nancy Webb

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts

Hello Nancy,

The instructor keeps all of her ppt links for the year up on a certain page, and everyone else in the class seems to be able to download them ok, so I think that it's just me. :/ haha. Is the help desk online? Jw. And I have ppt installed definitely :))

Top 50 Contributor
Female
94 Posts

Lauren,

You need to check with your institution to see if they have a Help Desk to assist with technical issues.  Why don't you try the Mozilla browser (available for download at www.mozilla.com) and see if that works for you?

Have you been able to download the PPTs previously?
Nancy

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts

Ok. And yes that was the weird part, I used to be able to download them but now I randomly can't :(

Top 50 Contributor
Female
94 Posts

Have you recently updated to IE8? if so, try running in "Compatibility" mode.  (Click on the button that looks like a ripped piece of paper.)  That may help/

Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Male
137 Posts

We have had no end of problems with Internet Explorer.  We recommend to all our users to use Firefox.  Also, try right-clicking thelik to the file and selecting "Save As" from the pop-up menu.  Save the file to your computerand open it from there.

"An educated mind without a focused will is useless.  An educated mind  without a loving heart  is dangerous." —Winfried Deijmann.

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Lauren,

I see that your school is running Blackboard "WebCT" Vista or Campus Edition. Office documents such as Word .doc and Powerpoint .ppt have always been problematic because of the various security changes constantly being implemented by Microsoft in Windows, Internet Explorer and MS-Office.

Beside using FireFox (or Safari) as suggested by Dr Corrie, unless there is an absolute need to have a native PowerPoint .ppt file, go back to your instructor and ask for a PDF version of the PowerPoint. With PowerPoint 2007, it's now very easy to save a PPT file as a PDF file. At my institution, we always tell faculty to avoid native Office documents and to provide PDF versions, which are much more "web friendly". This is regardless of the four learning management systems running here. 

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts

Thank you guys so much for your help! The problem is now solved. :D Bob was right, it was my darn security settings on the new Microsoft ppt program that would only let me open my instructor's documents in read-only mode. I am so glad that this was such a simple fix and thanks again for listening!! :)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS