Blackboard

Automatic Test Grading

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Michael Riecke posted on 21 Sep 2010 9:53 AM

Students took a multiple choice test in Blackboard.  The faculty member opted not to show scores after completion.  She assumed, as did I, that the Grade Center would still automatically display the grades.  Instead, every student's test in the Grade Center "needs grading". Is there a way to force Blackboard to calculate the grades without going through each student's test?  This is a very large class so it could take quite some time.  Why did Blackboard not score the tests in the first place?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Michael,

The option of whether or not to show scores and other feedback should not have any impact on whether Blackboard automatically grades the tests. 

If you are seeing a "Needs Grading" indicator in the Grade Center, it means that there's something about the tests that prevented them from being automatically graded.  Generally, that would be because either a) there is a question type that cannot be automatically graded (such as an essay), or b) the instructor set a time limit on the test and the student went over the time limit, requiring the instructor to decide whether to deduct points.

I'd advise you to take a look at some of the test attempts to confirm that there is nothing in the test besides multiple choice questions, and that there is no time limit on the test that was exceeded.

Mike

Not Ranked
3 Posts

Thanks, Mike.  I took another look at the test.  Indeed, all questions were multiple choice.  The instructor did set a time limit, but only a few students exceeded the limit.  I understand Blackboard requiring a manual grade in that instance, but shouldn't the grades of students who completed the exam on time appear automatically? 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Michael,

Yes, the students who did not exceed the time limit should be graded automatically.  All I can say is, I would double-check those, and make sure that the instructor set the time limit the way they think they did.  In 9.1, you have to click on the "Test Information" pull-down when viewing the attempt to see whether they went over the time limit--it's not displayed automatically at the top like it was in older Blackboard Learning System versions.

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
12 Posts

So, is there a way to have the grade center display the grades for all of these attempts that have exceeded the time limit without having to go in and manually grade each one?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Wendy - this isn't in Blackboard by default, but you can create a smart view to show the tests that have the needs grading status. This will pull up just those that need to be graded by the instructor.

Take a look and let us know if you need help setting up a smart view in the grade center.

paige

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,085 Posts

Wendy,

No, I'm afraid there's no "override" to get around instructors having to manually grade tests that have gone over the time limit.  

Mike

Top 150 Contributor
21 Posts

Hi! I'm working with an instructor for whom Learn is not automatically grading multiple-choice questions. Everything looks like it is set up correctly -- the questions are correctly set up, and the student has completed and submitted the test. But all of the multiple-choice questions have the "needs grading" icon, and none of them are graded. They all have the dash "--" instead of a score.

I found this post that I'm replying to, and assumed that the problem was that the student went over the time limit. However, I am unable to replicate this, in my test course. I have a test set up with the same settings that this instructor used (except her time limit was 3.5 hours, and mine is 5 minutes). But when I take the test as a demo student, and purposely go over the time limit, the system still grades me as it should. It still does assign a grade for multiple-choice questions.

When the time limit is up, the system gives me the option to hit Cancel to continue the test, or hit Submit to submit the test. I've tested both options, and in both cases, the multiple-choice question does still get graded.

Any thoughts on how I can replicate this issue of Learn NOT automatically grading multiple-choice questions?

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
1,128 Posts

Hi Jennifer - I'm wondering if the student maybe didn't hit submit. Go into the test and look a the options at the top. Is there a button/link that says Submit for Student or something similar? That may take care of it for you.

paige

Top 150 Contributor
21 Posts

Hi Paige,

Can't check at the moment, however the student's test did appear in Needs Grading, so I assume that the student did hit Submit.

- Jennifer

Not Ranked
1 Posts

I am having the exact same problem and it has nothing to do with student timing out (since I am the only "student" test student, who took the test so far and did it well within the time. 

I created a test and each time I created a question, I selected the correct response. Why then, when I see "needs grading" and choose "grade all" does BB not grade the darned things? I seem to have to go through each question one by one for each student? That is unbelievable. There seems to be no control or instruction on this no matter where I look..

If the "test" cannot be automatically graded unless all questions are multiple choice, why isn't this stated somewhere? 

Ruth

Not Ranked
3 Posts

I am helping an instructor who is experiencing the same issues. The grade for all students is showing up as Needs Grading.  There is not a set time limit and it is all multiple choice. The students have two attempts to take the quiz, would this warrant a "Needs Grading" symbol? If so, does he have to manual enter each grade? How does auto grade work when the student is given more than one opportunity to take the quiz?

Not Ranked
3 Posts

This is happening for all of his quizzes.

Not Ranked
5 Posts

I have an instructor with a single short-answer question quiz worth zero points in three different classes. In two of the classes, the quiz is auto-graded and shows zeros in the grade center. In the third class the quiz doesn't auto-grade and shows the needs grading icon in the grade center. All settings are identical. What can be causing this?

Lane Grann-Stahl

Charlotte, NC

Not Ranked
5 Posts

Correction: the question-type is Fill-in, which is supposed to autograde. Sorry for the error.

LGS

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS