Blackboard

Connect Blackboard 9.1 using .NET API

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Ganesh Gavali posted on 13 May 2010 2:29 AM

Hi Everybody,

I am using Blackboard version 9.1. I would like to connect to a BlackBoard instance using the available API for .NET but not able to find the .NET API for Blackboard 9.1 release.
My goal is to manage user and course information from a third party application running .NET.
Can anyone tell which .NET API's are exposed for this purpose? Is there any sample code available?

Thank you in advance.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,021 Posts

Ganesh,

.NET is no longer supported in 9.1.  See page 28 of the 9.1 release notes:

If running on Windows, support for .NET APIs and .NET Building Blocks has been removed from Blackboard Learn in Release 9.1. If you are using .NET APIs and Building Blocks, they will not work in Release 9.1. Replace them with comparable Web Services and Java Building Block APIs. For more information about the available APIs, see the API documentation available on Behind the Blackboard.

Mike

Not Ranked
2 Posts

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

I just want to know that is there any specific reason due to which .NET is no longer supported in Blackboard Learn release 9.1?

Are there any API's exposed other than java?

Ganesh

Top 10 Contributor
Male
8,021 Posts

Ganesh,

The best place to ask those sorts of questions is over in the EduGarage developer's forums ( http://www.edugarage.com )

Mike

Top 500 Contributor
11 Posts

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

While we no longer support the .NET APIs, we have added web services in Blackboard Learn 9.0 make the software language agnostic. In addition, Blackboard has provided re-usable sample code for use in .NET to make the transition easier.

The nice thing about having web services in Bb 9.x is that it expands the choices available to clients in terms of the language they prefer to code in.  Prior to Bb 9.x, a client could only use .NET because it was the only other choice besides the Java APIs. Now clients can use PHP or any other language they so choose.

We see this move to web services as one more way to ensure Blackboard Learn is more flexible and easier to integrate with. 

For more information about the web services please visit the Developer community site at www.edugarage.com.

Jan

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS