Blackboard

Firefox 3.6 and HTML Creator

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
D. S. Koelling posted on 21 Jan 2010 5:34 PM

Just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and have lost HTML Creator.

Solutions, anyone?

Thanks,

Deborah Spangler Koelling

(Blackboard Enterprise CE8; Java 1.6.0_11-b03; Vista)

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi,

Did you try clearing the Java cache/temporary Internet files in Windows->Control Panel->Java?

If you still have problems, you will need to roll back to a supported version of FireFox 3.0 or use Internet Explorer.

Cheers,

Bob

Top 10 Contributor
185 Posts

Just to note... I just upgrdaed to Firefox 3.6 as well so I tried it out and yes, I get an error when loading the HTML Creator, stating that the license is no longer valid.  I then switched over to IE and it works just fine.  Came back to Firefox and same thing, odd error message.  Did you also see the error Deborah?

Not Ranked
5 Posts

Dear Bob,

Yes, those are the obvious work-arounds. I was hoping for a solution . . . like Blackboard updating their software to work with the latest Firefox.

Thank you anyway,

Deborah

Not Ranked
5 Posts

Brian, in my case I never saw an error message in Firefox, just a blank whiteness that never altered. That licensing message is odd.

Thanks for the reply,

Deborah

Top 10 Contributor
255 Posts

Hi Deborah,

Blackboard strives to update the various versions of Blackboard "WebCT" Vista/Campus Edition, Blackboard LS "Classic", Blackboard Learn and Angel Learning. But it takes time to do a thorough testing to find any quirks that may have crept in with a new browser version.  After a major disaster many, many years ago with a Netscape browser version release (the Granddaddy to FireFox), WebCT no longer supported new browser versions until the version was officially released and the browser version went through sufficient testing. While Blackboard will start testing new browser versions prior to release, they will not provide official support until after the official release of the version and additional testing for verification.

Also, Blackboard has released hotfixes and patches to support the newer IE, FireFox and Safari browser versions but a school may not have had the opportunity to apply the update to their particular version of Blackboard.

No, I don't work for Blackboard. I'm at a major institution, working through the same challenges of maintaining a stable Blackboard system while trying to support faculty and students who want to be on the "latest and greatest" browser.

The best I can offer besides the previous suggestions is to ask your school's Blackboard Administrator what the update plans are for supporting the new browser versions as Blackboard releases the updates.

Cheers,

Bob

Not Ranked
5 Posts

I believe I may have found a partial solution to my Firefox 3.6/HTML Creator conflict: update Java.

I tried Blackboard CE on Google Chrome this morning and was prompted to upload the latest Java (6, version 18 . . . 1.6.0_18-b07). That upload didn't do anything for Chrome, but it restored HTML Creator to Firefox 3.6. (Hooray!)

This is a *partial* solution because HTML Creator is still a bit wonky in Firefox 3.6.  E.g., Once the HTML Creator loads, the cursor won't go into the "Subject" dialogue box . . . I can only access that when I disable the HTML Creator.

I should also mention that I'm reluctant to go with the upgraded Java because--in past years--changing my Java has changed the functionality of WebCT & Blackboard in bad ways. However, so far, so good.

Deborah

Not Ranked
1 Posts

I had the same thing happen. I had to re-install Java Runtime. Once I had done that, HTML Creator was functional. Hope it helps

Not Ranked
5 Posts

Dear Linda,

Thanks for your efforts, but my post was from a year ago . . . old news now!  I've experienced no improvement or deterioration since my last post on the topic. My campus is moving to Moodle, however, so I'm not going to worry about it any more.

My best,

Deborah

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS