Customizing colors in course modules, background behind nav buttons

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
bshersey Posted: 23 Oct 2009 12:00 AM
--- Server: ?(?) | Client: ?(?) ---

Two customization questions:

My course module colors are different than those specified in my brand -- which show up fine on all other modules. How do I change these?

I would like to change the color of the dark, blue-green background behind my navigation buttons in the left column. How do I get to this?

Thanks.

--Scott
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Scott,

When you say your "course module" colors are different, do you mean the colors within a specific portal module/tab, or do you mean the colors within a course or courses? Course colors are not controlled by branding in Learning System. Rather, the default colors are set under System Admin > Courses - Settings > Default Course Design, and instructors are able to change those settings by going to Course Design > Couse Menu Design under the course control panel.

Does that answer your question?

Mike
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Not quite...

I am on the hosted version of BB 9. When I go to Course Settings, there is no link for Default Course Design, only Default Course Menu, which controls the buton color and button vs. text. Instructor can go to Customization/Style, which takes them to the same menu. Nothing anywhere about module colors, except in the brand. I am looking to work at Course level.
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Scott,

It's useful to know which version you're on, since the user interface and menus changed quite a bit with Bb9.

In 9, you change the menu colors for a specific course under (Course) Control Panel >> Customization >> Style. You change the default colors for all courses under Administrator Panel >> Brands and Themes >> Default Course Design.

What specifically are you referring to when you ask about "module colors"?

Mike
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Maybe I am not seeing correctly or understanding...

But here's what I see in Customization -> Style:

Select Menu Style
Course Menu Display
Default Content View
Course Entry Point
Select Banner

I don't see anyplace where I can change the background color of the module titles on the course page or the background column color behind my navigation images. Am I missing something?
Not Ranked
Posts 0
This is in the course control panel, right? In the top "Select Menu Style" section, there is "Preview" area and a "Style" area. In the "Style" area there is a radio button to select between "Text" and "Buttons", and right below that are pull-down color selectors for "Background Color" and "Text Color". See the attached screen shot...

Is that not what you're seeing?

Mike
Not Ranked
Posts 0
I'm trying to change the menu style to buttons, and I think I see the area that you're trying to change now...unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out if/how you can get to the settings for that area!

Mike
Not Ranked
Posts 0
A little more digging....

I think the background color for that area is controlled by the system-wide theme. You can't control that aspect of the them directly from the GUI, but the theme is made up primarily of CSS files, and you can download the theme, tweak it, and upload it as a new theme. If you're using the Bb Classic theme, which has the blue-green color set as the background for that area ("Navigation Pane", I think), you can adjust that value by changing it in the theme.css file.

Does that help?

Mike
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS