Blackboard

WebCT freezing when trying to upload files from My Computer

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
sahmg Posted: 19 Jan 2007 12:00 AM
--- Server: CE 6/Vista 4(SUN) | Client: IE6.x(WIN) ---

Many of my faculty are having problems uploading files to their WebCT courses. They click on My Computer and navigate to the file, but the file will not upload. Sometimes it is very slow or will actually freeze the computer. This is not happening on the Mac computers.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

Thanks,
Georgette Sahm
Rowan University
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Georgette,

It may be a combination of the browser, version of Java, etc. Is there a common setup that they are using on the PC?
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Hi Brian,
There could be many different configurations. It is also happening from home computers.
I'm trying to collect that information. It doesn't happen everytime but periodically.
But they all have at least IE 6 and Java 1.5.

An example, I had the problem on a computer in the faculty workroom, but now it is working just fine.

Thanks,
Not Ranked
Posts 0
If it is only happening periodically, it could be server traffic or overall network traffic that is causing the problem. Does the problem occur when you use both the java file upload wizard and the non-Java upload method for getting files to the server? How about via Webdav?
Not Ranked
Posts 0
Georgette,

Which version of Sun Java 1.5 (AKA Java 5)? There have been numerous reports of system lockup after uploading files with Java 5 Update 8, 9, 10 and Java 6.

Best recommendation is to:

1. Remove all versions of Java on a system

2. Install Java 5 Update 7 (aka Java 2 ver 1.5.07)

3. Go to http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/5.0_07/index.html and select the link under "JRE 5.0 Update 7" not the "JDK" link.

4. Once Java is installed, open the Java Control Panel and turn off the automatic update notification.

Cheers,

Bob
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS